Sunday, February 12, 2012

I had to do something.

After hearing the reading of a resolution last Friday in our Legislature to commemorate the 39th anniversary of the Supreme Court ruling in Roe v. Wade, in a room packed with young people and their families, I have been feeling outraged. I have sent the following letter to the editor to various newspapers in our state:

Dear Editor,
Our State Legislature has the honor and privilege of having its citizens come into the House Chamber and listen to the business of the day while we are in session. Last Friday in the House, we honored with resolutions Vermont Eagle Scouts and their leaders for their achievements, and also several other fine young sports teams and their coaches. In attendance were also many parents who were sharing in the pride of those recognitions.
With these young people and their families in attendance, a resolution was also read to commemorate the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court ruling that 39 years ago legalized abortion. With no warning whatsoever, those young people, who were guests in our House that day, along with other Legislators who believe in the sanctity of human life, were subjected to the reading of that resolution. A roll call was also requested to vote on the resolution, and the young people and families who were there also had to sit through that. I left the House Chamber in protest as the resolution was being read and returned to vote no on the resolution.
I believe that an apology ought to be given to those young people and guests that were sitting there in our House Chamber last Friday, for the insensitivity and inappropriateness of that situation that they were subjected to. I personally am saddened that our Legislature allowed that to happen.
As a Legislator I believe that it is my duty to first do no harm to our citizens, and to defend life and protect those who are not able to protect themselves; the unborn, children, the elderly, and the disabled. That is why I ran to be a Representative for my constituents, and that is what I will continue to do to the best of my ability.
I appreciate the young people and their families who were there in our State House last Friday. They have made us proud. I am sorry that we did not return the favor.
Respectfully, Rep. Vicki Strong Albany
http://chumly.com/n/10960d7

No comments:

Post a Comment